Mind development professionals can be characterized by their areas of study. In the case of the psychologist, its basis is the behavior of thought and how it influences the personality of an individual. In the case of the psychoanalyst, its foundations are negative emotions, disorders, or repressions.
What is a Psychologist?
This is a mental health specialist. Etymologically, the word psychologist derives from the psyche (mind), so the study of it is based on the knowledge of the functions of the brain, the mind, and the thoughts, ideas and memories of individuals.
A psychologist specializes in short-, medium-, and long-term mental experiments. That is childhood memories, current events, or anxieties. The psychologist can diagnose disorders or offer details of the meanings of thoughts or ideas.
What Is a Psychoanalyst?
Psychoanalysis is a current of psychology, so the professional in this area is based on the study of the mind but on its influence on the behavior of the individual and the analysis of their negative emotions, for example, suffering.
The psychoanalyst has the ability to diagnose the levels of personal conflicts, traumas and repressions from the past. The analysis carried out by a psychoanalyst on human behavior is directly linked to the negative mental states of each individual.
Differences between psychologist and psychoanalyst
- The psychologist studies the mind. Everything concerning the thoughts, memories, ideas and short, medium or long memory of an individual.
- The psychoanalyst is based on childhood memories linked to family repressions, personal frustrations, negative events or anxieties.
- The psychologist, through a direct and personal analysis, diagnoses disorders, in addition to being able to offer details about a person’s behavior according to their cognitive or learning capacity.
- The psychoanalyst performs experimental tests and analyzes to diagnose the level of disorders existing in an individual.
- The psychologist is the first to diagnose an individual, and is then treated by the psychoanalyst if it is a case of negative experiences such as suffering, sadness or depression.