Basic electricity is a set of physical phenomena that occur when there is a movement of the electrons of the atoms that form any type of matter. Some physical phenomena that basic electricity produces can be turning on a light bulb to produce light, an electric radiator to produce heat, motors to move, etc. Therefore, electricity is a form of energy that allows work to be carried out. This energy is neither created nor destroyed, but rather transformed.
When electrons move through a material, basic electricity is produced. The movement of electrons through a conductor ( materials that allow electric current to pass such as aluminum, iron, or silver) is known as electric current. The materials that do not allow this electric current to pass are insulators. The electric current can be caused naturally, artificially, or by a dynamo that will be responsible for producing the electric current.
Electricity has a large number of purposes. The elements that produce effects when crossed by basic electricity are called receptors. There may be receptors of different types such as light, magnetic, motor, and sound receptors.
What Is Basic Electricity?
Electricity is a natural phenomenon that has been studied for centuries, and has been used to create and develop countless technologies that are essential in our daily lives today. For this reason, mainly, the demand for electrical experts increases as technology evolves.
The person who invented light was Thomas Edison , who revolutionized electric lighting throughout the world. Electricity has been a revolution for the industry , allowing greater automation, productivity and efficiency in processes. It has made the creation of new technologies possible and has reduced production costs in many sectors.
How is electricity produced?
Electricity is produced through a positively charged body, where negative electrons and others with a positive charge are missing, joined by a conductor . So the positively charged atoms want electrons to be in a neutral state and the negatively charged atoms have excess negative electrons so they want to throw them away to be in a neutral state.
“The negative electrons left over from the negative material will go to the positive, so that the movement of electrons is achieved , which is called electricity” .
What are the fundamentals of basic electricity?
If you are starting to train as an electrician, there are essential things that you must know and study in depth, such as safety regulations, PRL in electricity, the basic and advanced tools for daily use of the electrician, and the basic fundamentals of electricity; which we will see next:
- Electric charge: electricity originates from the existence of electrical charges, which can be positive or negative. Electrons, which have a negative charge, are the carriers of electricity.
- Electric potential: Electric potential refers to the force that causes electrons to move from one point to another. This force is measured in volts (V).
- Electric current: Electric current is the flow of electrons through a conductor, measured in amperes (A). Electric current moves from a point of higher electrical potential to one of lower potential.
- Electrical resistance: electrical resistance is the opposition that a material offers to the passage of electric current. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and depends on factors such as the type of material and its length and thickness.
- Ohm’s Laws : establish the mathematical relationship between electric current, electric potential and electrical resistance in an electrical circuit. Ohm’s law formula is expressed as V= I * R, where V is the voltage in volts, I is the current in amperes and R is the resistance in ohms. This is an essential formula for calculating the intensity of electric current at different locations in the circuit.
Electrical installations in homes
Electricity is one of the basic needs for living. Currently, a home is equipped with modern electrical installations, which allow the supply and control of electrical energy, an area managed by electrical engineering . After knowing the basic concepts of basic electricity , we are going to show you the key concepts of an electrical installation in our homes.
- Electrical circuit : This is a closed circuit where electric current flows, and is made up of a power source, conductive cables and electrical consumption devices. For the design of this circuit, electrical diagrams and single-line diagrams are necessary to graphically represent the distribution of components and connections within the circuit.
- Short circuit : it is one of the risks that can occur in any electrical installation. It occurs when two points with different electrical potentials accidentally come together and connect, causing an excessive increase in current flow. Therefore, it generates heat (those sparks that we see when it happens) and damages the electrical components, being a great risk. In this case, to prevent it from passing, the ground connection is used, which is a safer route if failures occur.
- Use of the multimeter : it can be called a multimeter and is a tool widely used by electricians and hobbyists. Measures voltages, currents and resistances in the circuit. It is quite useful to verify connections , detect faults and ensure proper operation.
- Switches : They are part of the devices that control the flow of energy in an electrical circuit. How to connect a switch is necessary to follow the steps of a specific diagram, knowing that the circuit can be interrupted or closed when necessary. It is a basic component within the electrical panel diagram of a home .
Discover 5 revolutionary inventions to produce basic electricity
Energy cement: this is a compound made from waste from power plants , whose function, in addition to reusing materials, is to serve as batteries. This potassium geopolymetric (KGP) composite concrete is cheaper than ordinary cement and can store electricity.
Windows made of solar panels: the emergence of new materials, such as perovskite, can make the panels much thinner, cheaper and working at much lower temperatures. This allows them to be translucent and can become windows.
Urban wind turbines: Traditional wind turbines do not work well in cities because tall buildings constantly change air currents. However, urban wind turbines, with their spherical wind turbines, have managed to put an end to this problem thanks to the development of a spherical device that rotates when the wind hits it from any direction.
Photovoltaic roads: this advance has yet to be perfected, but, in short, they consist of roads made with solar panels capable of generating energy.
Piezoelectric Energy : is a type of energy that, when you squeeze certain materials, such as quartz, flows through them. Therefore, cars and trucks traveling along special road surfaces equipped with piezoelectric devices could generate power. Pedestrians could do the same on special pavements.
Basic electricity involves the study of electric charge, current flow, and circuit principles, essential for understanding electronic systems and electrical devices. It encompasses concepts such as voltage, resistance, and Ohm’s law, forming the foundation for more advanced studies in electrical engineering.